Thursday, May 9, 2024

Benedictine Spread

 


My husband and I attended a Derby party (4 May 2024). 

I followed this recipe:  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/benedictine-spread/

Prep/Total Time: 15 minutes.   
Makes 1-3/4 cups
 
Ingredients
 
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1/8 teaspoon dill weed
1 drop green food coloring, optional
3/4 cup finely chopped peeled cucumber, patted dry
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
 
Optional: Snack rye bread, pita bread wedges and assorted fresh vegetables
 
Directions
 
In a small bowl, combine cream cheese, mayonnaise, salt, white pepper, dill and, if desired, food coloring; beat until smooth.
 
Stir in cucumber and onion.
 

Cover and refrigerate until serving. Serve with snack rye bread, pita bread wedges, or vegetables as desired.
 
My Notes: 

I doubled this recipe since there we a lot of people at the party.

I added 1 T lemon juice and a little more mayonnaise.  

I skipped the food coloring.

For the cucumber, I removed the seeds.

My husband doesn't like a lot of raw onions, so I sautéed the onions (except for 1 T) in a little olive oil just until translucent. 

I sprinkled a little bit of dill on top of the dip after placing the spread into a serving bowl.  

I served this with fresh rye bread that I quartered. You can also serve with pumpernickel or crostini.

No comments:

German Potato Salad

  I followed this recipe but did some slight changes:   https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/83097/authentic-german-potato-salad/   Prep Time: ...