Tuesday, June 11, 2024

My Seared Scallops


I made seared scallops last night (10 June 2024), which I served with a side of broccoli, and a mushroom and spinach risotto.
 
Serves 1
 
Ingredients
 
5 large sea scallops
Salt and pepper
All-purpose flour
2 T  avocado oil
1 T butter
Squeeze of fresh lemon
1 T or so white wine
 
Instructions
 
Pat dry the scallops with a paper towel to remove any excess water.
 
Place the scallops onto a plate and sprinkle with salt and pepper, and then lightly coat with the flour.
 
In a skillet on medium-high heat, add the oil and butter. Once hot, add the scallops in one layer (don’t move them until ready to flip over) and cook for 90-120 seconds; flip over and cook for another 90 seconds until they are golden brown.  You don't want to overcook the scallops. the center should be translucent. 
 
Remove the scallops to a serving dish and deglaze the pan with the wine scraping any bits to get all that yummy flavor to make a sauce. Pour over the scallops and squeeze lemon over the top.
 
Service right away with your favorite sides.


Notes:

I made a delicious mushroom risotto with spinach and parmesan to go with the scallops: 


I cut the recipe in half, which still made a lot, so have leftovers. 
 
I added one clove of garlic, chopped, when I added the onions to the pan.
 
I used chicken broth instead of water.
 
I did not add any additional salt and pepper when I added the parmesan cheese at the end (missing in the instructions).
 
What I really liked about this recipe is that it calls for adding all the water (broth) at one time, rather than a traditional risotto recipe where you add the broth a little a time until it's all absorbed. 




No comments:

German Potato Salad

  I followed this recipe but did some slight changes:   https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/83097/authentic-german-potato-salad/   Prep Time: ...