Saturday, June 9, 2012

Spiced Apple Cake

Today I made a spiced apple cake. Tonight is our monthly rotation dinner and the food theme is Foods from Australia. I have book called The Australian Heritage Cookbook, published in 1988. I believe my grand Aunt Monica gave it to me years ago.

I'm not a huge dessert baker but this recipe that was very easy and something I'd do again.














Topping:

2 T. brown sugar
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg
3 T. flour
15g (3/4 oz) melted butter or margarine

The Cake:

3/4 C. milk
1 C. muesli (purchased at Giant)
1 egg, beaten
1/3 C. brown sugar
60g (2 oz) melted butter or margarine
1 C peeled, grated apple
1-3/4 C. self-raising flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg

Mix dry topping ingredients together and stir in the butter.




Combine the milk and muesil and stand for 5 minutes, then add the egg.

Add the sugar, butter and apple, then fold in the sifted dry ingredients.



Pour into a prepared 8" springform tin. [I buttered/floured the tin].



Crumble the topping over the cake mixture.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.

Allow cake to stand 15-20 minutes before turning out.




Eat within 2-3 days. [Yeah, right].

My Notes:

Boy, this didn't "pour" into the pan. It was very thick. I might have made the mistake of draining the apples.

The house smells wonderful of cinnamon and apples!

I baked it for 36 minutes and checked with a knife and tooth pick. 

Will write a post-note after I have some tonight.

Okay, so it was a little dry. Next time maybe just 30 minutes and not drain the juice from the apples. Maybe even some apple sauce for mositure. Will make this again just to see if I can adjust correctly.



No comments:

Lentil Salad

Donna made this delicious salad for our book club last night (6 March 2024). Everyone loved it! Ingredients   1 can lentils 1 cup finely dic...