Thursday, February 16, 2023

Limoncello

 


This is very easy to make and is so delicious, especially when you serve it from the freezer. I don't make it very often, but when I do, I always ask myself, why do I buy store-bought? I should make my own more often! 

Note that the amount of sugar and water is a ball park. You may want it sweeter or stronger. Start with the measurements I have and set aside 1/2 cup of the simple syrup. Taste and add more if needed.

Ingredients:

1 empty (extra) 1.5 liter bottle
15-16 lemons

1.75 liter bottle of vodka (Many recipes call for grain alcohol. If you do, you may need to add more simple syrup, as I found the grain alcohol too strong) 

3 cups of sugar
3.5 cups of water



Directions:

Wash the lemons to remove any residue. Dry the lemons and remove the zest with a potato peeler. Make sure you remove any pith.
 
Divide the alcohol and zest into two bottles. Screw the caps on and store the bottles at room temperature in a cabinet. Let it sit for about 2 weeks or up to a month. Every couple of days, shake the bottles to mix the ingredients.











When ready, combine the sugar and water in a large pot. Bring to a boil and cook until it thickens, about 5-8 minutes. Let the sugar syrup cool completely.  
 
Using a strainer (some will use a coffee filter), pour the vodka mixture into the cooled sugar syrup. 

Pour the completed mixture into bottles using a funnel.
 
Place one bottle back in the cabinet; the other into the freezer. It's ready to serve once it's completely chilled. 

 Enjoy!

No comments:

Lentil Salad

Donna made this delicious salad for our book club last night (6 March 2024). Everyone loved it! Ingredients   1 can lentils 1 cup finely dic...