Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Authentic German Beer Cheese Dip Obatzda

Click on the photos for a full view.


I made this yesterday for a Sound of Music! dinner party. There was a wonderful spread of foods to include fresh-made pretzels, brats, sauerkraut, 
Wiener Schnitzel, Stuffed Cabbage, German potato salad, spaetzle, apple strudel, German beer, a beautiful meat and cheese board, etc.; and this dip that I made.  

This recipe is from https://ourgabledhome.com/german-beer-cheese-dip-obatzda/
 
Prep Time 10min
Total Time10min
 
Servings: 8 servings
 
Ingredients
 
8 oz brie or camembert cheese, very ripe
4 oz butter
4 oz cream cheese
1 small onion or 1 shallot
2 tsp paprika powder
1-2 T beer
Salt and pepper to taste
1 T chives, chopped
 
Instructions
 
Make sure to have all your ingredients at room temperature. That means taking the cheese, cream cheese, and butter out of the refrigerator at least one hour before you want to make this cheese spread.
 
Cut the cheese, the butter, and the cream cheese into chunks and add them to a medium bowl.
 
Begin mixing them with a fork or pastry blender.
 
Add the paprika and some salt and pepper.
 
Now add a splash of beer and mix all the ingredients well. I personally like it a bit on the chunkier, stiffer side but you can also add a bit more beer and blend everything into more of a uniform cream.
 
Transfer it to a nice serving bowl and sprinkle it with some diced chives.
 
My Notes:
 
I cut the amount of butter to just two dabs. For me, with all the cheese, I didn’t think all that butter was needed.  
 
I used a shallot, minced.

I added a t of ground caraway seeds and sweet Hungarian paprika.
 
For the beer, I used Negra Modelo Especial, which is a Munich Dunkel Lager. I used 3-4 T of beer.
 
I was a little heavy on the salt, so I added a more cream cheese.
 
I served it with pumpernickel bread at a dinner party. 
 
This was a hit.


Click on the photos for a full view.

No comments:

Lentil Salad

Donna made this delicious salad for our book club last night (6 March 2024). Everyone loved it! Ingredients   1 can lentils 1 cup finely dic...