Monday, March 29, 2010

Old Bay Onion Pie

25 March 2010: This is a recipe my friend Anne made. I hosted a dinner party and the food theme was “Maryland Recipes”. A group of us meets once a month, usually at someone's home. Her comments are in [ ].

Old Bay Onion Pie

3 Tbsp. butter [I used a little less]
6 medium onions, peeled and sliced [I used half the onions]
1 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
1/4 tsp. Salt
[Pepper]
1-1/2 Cups Milk
5 Eggs, beaten
1 Pie shell, 9"
2 Tbsp. Parsley
12 Slices Bacon, crumbled [I use about 8-9 slices]

[I took an idea from Julia Child & sprinkled about 1/4 cup grated swiss cheese on top]

- Preheat oven to 350°. In a medium saucepan, melt butter and sauté onions, Old Bay, and salt [and pepper] over low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

- Drain. Add milk and stir in eggs.

- Pour mixture in pie shell. Top with parsley and bacon [and grated swiss cheese].

- Bake for 50 minutes [40 minutes] until done.



I used my mom's pie crust recipe:

1 generous cup flour, sifted with with a scant tsp. of salt.

Use a knife & fork to cut in 1/2 cup solid Crisco.

Add 1/4 Cup liquid: 1/2 orange juice and 1/2 water.

Gently fold/smush together into a ball. Don't overhandle.

Roll out and place in pie plate.

Fill. Bake.

{This was reheated at 350° for 25 minutes before serving. This was delicious! Using a ready-made pie crust will cut your time in the kitchen.}

No comments:

Lentil Salad

Donna made this delicious salad for our book club last night (6 March 2024). Everyone loved it! Ingredients   1 can lentils 1 cup finely dic...