Sunday, July 22, 2018

Curried Couscous

Curried Couscous


1 1/2 cups couscous
[I added ¼ t of salt to the water]

 [Too much in my opinion! I only used ½ teaspoon]
[I added a pinch of sugar]

1/2 cup small-diced carrots
1/2 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 cup dried currants or raisins [I used dried cranberries]
1/4 cup blanched, sliced almonds
2 scallions, thinly sliced (white and green parts)
1/4 cup small-diced red onion
[I added a can (15.5 oz) drained garbanzo beans]

Place the couscous in a medium bowl. Melt the butter in the boiling water [add the salt before boiling the water] and pour over the couscous. Cover tightly and allow the couscous to soak for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.

Whisk together the yogurt, olive oil, vinegar, curry, turmeric, salt, and pepper. Pour over the fluffed couscous and mix well with a fork. [I doubled the dressing].


Add the carrots, parsley, currants, almonds, scallions, and red onions, mix well, and season to taste.

Serve at room temperature.



My Notes:

1.5 cups of couscous makes a huge portion, even for a dinner party of 14 people. Next time, I'll just use 1 cup of couscous but will keep the same amount of the other ingredients. 

I also added more sliced almonds and cranberries.

Next time I may use chicken broth to give the couscous more flavor.

You can be creative and add whatever vegetables, dried fruits, diced grilled chicken, etc., that you like.

No comments:

Lentil Salad

Donna made this delicious salad for our book club last night (6 March 2024). Everyone loved it! Ingredients   1 can lentils 1 cup finely dic...