4 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup granulated sugar
8 egg yolks
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup sifted light brown sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 275 degrees.
2. Place the cream in a double boiler and heat but do not boil. Add the sugar stir until dissolved.
3. Beat the egg yolks well and add the salt and vanilla extract. Stir the hot cream into the egg mixture. Pour the mixture into an oblong baking dish (10 x 6; or small ramekins). The custard should be about one and on-half inches thick. Place the dish in a larger dish and pour boiling water around it.
4. Place in the oven and bake about one hour, or until set. Remove from the oven and let stand until cool, then refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. Remove the custard from the refrigerator and sprinkle with an even, one-quarter-inch layer of light brown sugar.
5. Place the sugar-topped custard under the broiler. Cook quickly, just until the sugar melts and runs together. Return to the refrigerator until thoroughly chilled. Just before serving, shatter the glaze by tapping lightly with a knife.